[tdwg-content] Invitation to Apply: First iDigBio Augmenting OCR Hackathon, February 2013 and iConference 2013 Workshop

Deb Paul dpaul at fsu.edu
Sun Nov 18 00:33:48 CET 2012

Subject: You are invited to apply to participate in the First iDigBio Augmenting OCR Hackathon, February 2013

Apply at:http://tinyurl.com/iDigBioAOCRHackathon  <http://tinyurl.com/PhyloTastic2>

Natural Language Parsing, Optical Character Recognition, User Interfaces
Fort Worth, Texas in February!

Integrated Digitized Biocollections, iDigBio  <https://www.idigbio.org/home>, along with theBotanical Research
Institute of Texas (BRIT)  <http://www2.brit.org/>  are hosting their 1st hackathon.The iDigBio Augmenting
Optical Character Recognition Working Group (AOCR)  <https://www.idigbio.org/wiki/index.php/Augmenting_OCR>  invites you to help us
improve OCR output and natural language parsing of natural history museum's
specimen label data. Be a part of helping to get "dark data" out of millions of
museum cabinets and into online databases.

Who can participate? We're looking for scientists, citizen scientists, information
scientists, software engineers, students, faculty, post-docs, and staff of both genders
and from different backgrounds. While we need hackers who write great code, we are also
seek individuals who have experience with writing, applying and optimizing natural language
processing algorithms, image processing and analysis, as well as: designing user interfaces,
testing software, developing tutorials, and documenting user experiences.

Applications are now being accepted for the iDigBio AOCR Hackathon, which will take place
February 13-14, 2013 at theBotanical Research Institute of Texas (BRIT)  <http://www2.brit.org/>.
Information on how to apply is provided below. Partial support (and, if
funds allow, full support) for travel, food and lodging will be available to
each successful applicant who indicates need. We particularly welcome
applications from women and members of underrepresented groups.

FYI, this hackathon is being held concurrent withiConference 2013  <http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/2013index/>  in Fort Worth,
where the iDigBio AOCR Working Group is presenting a half-day workshop
on February 12th: Help iDigBio Reveal Hidden Data: iDigBio Augmenting
OCR Working Group Needs You!

To understand how you might be able to contribute, please review the Google doc at
http://tinyurl.com/aocrHack  or contact one of the members of the iDigBio
AOCR working group (see below).

In Anticipation!,
Deborah Paul
- on behalf of the iDigBio AOCR working group, BRIT andiConference 2013  <http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/2013index/>

HOW TO APPLY
Before 30 November, 2012 at midnight, EST if possible. Space is limited to 20 people.
Please fill out the online form:
http://tinyurl.com/iDigBioAOCRHackthon  <http://tinyurl.com/PhyloTastic2>

* The application form asks you to describe how you can contribute to
the iDigBio AOCR Hackathon. We are not just looking for coders.

* Support for travel, housing and meals will be available to each successful
applicant who indicates need.

* Please understand that your application is not a guarantee of
participation in the event.  Funds and space are limited: we may not be able
to sponsor every individual who is qualified to participate.

* iDigBio AOCR Working Group Contacts
Bryan Heidorn,heidorn at email.arizona.edu
Edward Gilbert,egbiodiversity at gmail.com
Jason Best,jbest at brit.org