[tdwg-content] minimum/maximum elevation and depth - usage and priority?

Aaike De Wever aaike.dewever at naturalsciences.be
Mon Jul 2 10:46:52 CEST 2012

Dear all,

While composing a template and recommendations for the Darwin Core fields to supply for the BioFresh project <http://www.freshwaterbiodiversity.eu/>, similar to what Peter Desmet did for herbaria in Apple Core <http://code.google.com/p/applecore/>, I came across a number of terms which I haven't yet completely understood and hope to get some feedback on from this community.

The terms I am referring to are:
* minimumElevationInMeters - maximumElevationInMeters
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/minimumElevationInMeters - http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/maximumElevationInMeters
The lower limit of the range of elevation (altitude, usually above sea level), in meters.

* minimumDepthInMeters - maximumDepthInMeters
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/minimumDepthInMeters - http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/maximumDepthInMeters
The lesser/greater depth of a range of depth below the local surface, in meters.

Both for elevation and depth there are two terms representing the minimum and maximum, which I figure are meant to provide a range. As in most cases, for point data, there will be only one elevation and depth value, I was wondering what is the recommended best practice for these terms. Should one use minimum or maximum or provide the same value for both terms?

Any advise on this would be appreciated!

With best regards,
--
Aaike De Wever
BioFresh Science Officer