[tdwg-content] Occurrences, Organisms, and CollectionObjects: a review

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 14 03:43:59 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Richard Pyle
<deepreef at bishopmuseum.org> wrote:
> Ever since DwC transitioned from a "Federated Schema" to a "Vocabulary",
> I've never been entirely clear on what sorts of alterations would break
> backward-compatibility, and which are easily handled.  I've heard various
> statements from people with much more understanding than I on the
> implications of a "Vocabulary" that the classes are really intended as rough
> clusters of terms, and it's the definition of terms that matter.  Have I
> misunderstood this?

Well, that depends partially on what technology you have invested in.
If you only need to share records of Simple Darwin Core, whether in
text files or in XML documents that are valid to the Simple Darwin
Core XML schema, then the classes really don't have much of a function
at all, except maybe as a convenience. For example, people might find
it convenient to talk about the Location terms in Simple Darwin Core
as a subset of terms that are grouped together and pertain to
Locations. But in the record, the Location class does not appear. IPT
uses the label for the Class to create a list of terms in its mapping
user interface to help user quickly find relevant terms among the
many, many terms that Darwin Core supports.

Once you get into more relational structures, Classes may take on a
more active role. For example, Using the IPT's capacity to represent a
star schema in text files, one might have all of the Identification
information in a single file and relate that to a core record of the
Occurrence type and thereby support many Identifications for a single
Occurrence. The classes aren't explicit in this example, but they are
"understood" by the humans who attach the identifiers in the
Identifications file that relate to the core record. The same sort of
structural understanding might be made more explicit in a database
structure that tries to mimic the recommended
dcattributes:organizedInClass, or in an XML Schema that explicitly
uses the Classes as containers for properties.

In the semantic world, the Classes might be used to make world views
(plural on purpose) that reflect an understanding of how the higher
level concepts ought to relate to each other when applied to a
particular problem.

All of these are valid uses of Darwin Core.

> The point being: The only way we are threatening to
> "break" DwC is by moving terms from the Occurrence class to two other new
> classes.  Does that mean we are no longer allowed to represent those terms
> as properties of a record with an OccurrenceID?

You weren't ever really allowed to do so in Darwin Core in the strict
sense of assigning a domain to a property. This is because, for
example, just because something has a dwc:scientificName doesn't mean
it's a Taxon.

> The tiny part of my brain
> that "gets" ontology wants to believe that backward compatibility of what
> would be the new DwC:Occurrence would be maintained with what is the
> existing DwC:Occurrence *only* if the new classes ("Organism" and
> "CollectionObject") are regarded as subclasses of Occurrence.

They really are distinct, and subclassing them from Occurrence would
not give them any properties. Backward compatibility is much more
affected by what you do did with Occurrence before and what you will
do with Occurrence, Organism, and CollectionObject instead. To give an
example, the IPT could be modified to allow an Organism and
CollectionObject to be a core types instead of or in addition to
Occurrence. That would require re-engineering. IPT could just as
easily ignore these distinctions and still pump out perfectly good
Darwin Core Archives about Taxa and Occurrences. It really about what
you want to do with it.

> But the
> slightly less tiny (but still tiny) part of my brain that "gets" information
> modeling doesn't think that's the right way to represent the new classes.
> Which tiny part of my brain is right? (I'm guessing neither...) Does it even
> matter?

I think it matters to those who want to make Darwin more capable of
being used in ways that require distinctions that it cannot currently
represent. It might be useful to think of a counter example to help
people feel more comfortable with the proposed changes. I you have a
monitoring network of camera traps, does it really bother you that
Darwin Core has this GeologicalContext class? You don't use it. Should
it matter that there are classes for Organisms and the persistent
evidence of them? It should matter if you can do something interesting
with that, otherwise you can ignore the distinction between them and
think of the properties as Occurrence-related.

> Obviously, we want a stable DwC.  But we also want a DwC that meets our
> needs.  Clearly, there are needs that are not being met by the existing DwC.
> The first question is, are those needs important enough to consider
> destabilizing DwC (by introducing two new classes, and shuffling some terms
> from one existing class to the new classes)?  The second question is: what
> are the real costs/consequences of the "destabilization".  In my mind, the
> answer to the first question is increasingly obvious ("yes").  But I don't
> have a good feel for the answer to the second question.

The answer to the second one is going to depend on how Darwin Core is
being used. It might be good to get some anecdotes about how the
proposed changes are going to "break" anything currently in existence.