[tdwg-content] dwc: relating dwc:Identification objects to dwc:Taxon objects

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 23:38:55 CEST 2011

Ummm, In the example in
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/guides/xml/index.htm#classes, the
solution leaves me still confused on several grounds:

0: Maybe what's below shows an insufficient understanding of
Substitution Groups and is nonsense on my part.

1. In tdwg_dwc_classes.xsd It looks like the Substitution Group for
anyIdentifier admits multiple taxonIDs and multiple occurrenceIDs, so
there would then still no way to know which Occurrence  is being
identified to which Taxon, except to assume the element order gives
the semantics of association, and that the software got it right. That
doesn't work for RDF even if it does for XML-Schema. (And I'm
suspicious of its robustness for XML-Schema, but I suppose that is a
generic problem about xs:sequence. At the least, the solution seems to
require careful attention to the serialization order on the part of a
programmer, and an informal semantics that says that the order
determines what's associated with what).

2. To a certain extent, the Substitution Groups around there seem to
permit the association of objects in any of the eight classes with any
of the other eight, in ways that would harass, oh, say Rich Pyle  :-)
. For example, given the example and schema, it  seems as though  the
method permits an Identification to associate a Taxon with an Event.
Since I'm a firm believer in resisting design questions that start
with "Why would anybody ever", I'd better shut up on this point....

Bob

email: morris.bob at gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/