[tdwg-content] Occurrences, Organisms, and CollectionObjects: a review

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Sep 9 11:57:07 CEST 2011

I found an Excel spreadsheet containing "the MIGS/MIMS checklist" at
http://gensc.org/gc_wiki/index.php/MIGS/MIMS#The_MIGS.2FMIMS_checklist_as_a_spreadsheet
It mentions "sample" in the description of various terms, but I couldn't
find "sample" as a term itself.  But there may be something I'm missing
or maybe I haven't actually found the "real" term definitions (i.e. the
normative document).

I didn't see any reference to term definitions as URIs or with RDF
descriptions (as in DCMI and DwC).  Just cells in a spreadsheet.
Steve

John Wieczorek wrote:
> Funny thing for all of you Darwin Core trivia buffs. In one iteration
> of the class that became Occurrence, it was called "Sample"
> (http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#Sample-2008-11-19). It
> was rejected as being too biased toward collections and away from
> observations. With CollectionObjects, we no longer need to worry about
> that sensitive issue. So, to me it seems Sample is no worse than
> CollectionObject, but suffers the same shortcomings when it comes to
> types of evidence that people wouldn't think of as samples (drawings,
> digital media, written notes and literature).
>
> But I applaud the proposal to reconcile with GSC's Sample. Are GSC
> terms defined as vocabularies in a way that is compatible with Dublin
> Core and Darwin Core? Can someone point to the normative document
> containing the authoritative definition of the term?
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Gregor Hagedorn <g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I like sample. It is much more general and appropriate to work outside
>> of museums. Preserving everthing is a luxury not all can afford. It
>> should be done for many cases, but we usually don't have the resources
>> to do it always.
>>
>> Gregor

VU Station B 351634

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu