[tdwg-content] Occurrences, Organisms, and CollectionObjects: a review

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Sep 8 17:22:24 CEST 2011

Well, this point brings to mind the previous discussions about
"collapsing" or "denormalizing" complex models into simpler models.  In
those discussions, it was noted that many if not most people
"denormalize" out of existence parts of a more complex model when they
don't need them in their particular situation.  People who have whole
dead organisms in a jar do not care about the distinction between an
Organism and a CollectionObject.  However, people who cut five branches
from the same tree and send them to five different herbaria do care, as
do people who both photograph and collect samples from an organism,
people who make observations of the same organism over time, and people
who make measurements of a temporarily captured animal at the same time
they collect a DNA sample.  I don't consider the latter four examples to
be very, very, very few cases.  If it seems like there are very few
cases, that's just because TDWG was started by (and currently run
mostly) by people who run museums.  If TDWG wants to broaden the
biodiversity informatics tent to include people outside of the museum
community, then it is important to create the classes and terms
necessary to accommodate those other people.

Simple DwC does not require that users include classes that they don't
need in their databases.  If a museum only has specimens that are whole
dead organisms, then there is no need for them to have a table in their
database for Organism; they only need a table for CollectionObjects and
the Organism represented by that CollectionObject can be inferred.  This
is no different than flattening the relationships among Location, Event,
and Occurrence by having a 1:1:1 relationship among those three classes,
which might be done in a Darwin Core Archive.  The fact that some people
prefer to "flatten" those three classes into a single database table
doesn't mean that other people will not have the need to have several
events at a single Location, or several Occurrences at one Event.

So I guess I would say that I don't agree that there are very, very,
very few cases where there are multiple CollectionObjects per Organism.
One of the major points of the BiSciCol initiative is that there needs
to be some way for connecting diverse collection objects that originate
from the same organism but end up being scattered around in different
institutions.  The lack of an Organism class is a big hole in modeling
these kinds of situations and I haven't heard of an alternative way to
fix that hole.  There is a strong desire among a diverse group of TDWG
participants to move forward on more precisely modeling relationships
among classes using RDF.  If we do not make the changes John has
suggested, it is difficult to see how this will be accomplished without
people "making up" classes on the fly to accommodate the more precise
modeling that is sought.  That's what Cam and I had to do when we
created darwin-sw.

Steve

Chuck Miller wrote:
> "in the many, many, many cases where there will be a 1:1 relationship between an Organism and a CollectionObject..."
>
> Rich has hit on an important point.  The discussion continues to focus on perfecting logic that is all encompassing.  But, is it the best thing to do for the community as a whole to implement solutions that are more complex in order to accommodate the very, very, very few cases (using the counter description to Rich's).
>
> Maybe we should consider keeping the solutions simple (ie current DwC ) for the many, many, many cases and introduce complex extensions only for the very, very, very few.
>
> Chuck

VU Station B 351634

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu