[tdwg-content] Expressing some relationships in DwC?

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Oct 26 16:58:37 CEST 2011

I'm interested to see that the subject of the dwc:ResourceRelationship
class has come up again.  I have lost track of the number of times I've
asked this question (I think it's somewhere around 4 times now) on the
list without an answer: can anyone show me a functioning example where
somebody is actually using the ResourceRelationship terms in any form?
I have previously concluded from lack of response that there isn't
actually anybody who has used them, but I would be happy to for someone
to show that I'm wrong.

If I am understanding the use of the ResourceRelationship terms
correctly (which I'm not at all sure about), dwc:resourceID represents
an identifier for the subject of the relationship, dwc:relatedResourceID
represents an identifier for the object of the relationship, and
resourceRelationshipID represents an identifier for an _instance_ of a
relationship which is further elaborated in the record for that instance
by providing a string value for relationshipOfResource (using a
controlled vocabulary) along with additional information about the
relationships (according to whom, date, remarks).  What I think I'm
hearing in this thread is a desire to start using these terms more
widely and to improve interoperability  by standardizing the vocabulary
used for relationshipOfResource.  I also think I'm hearing that it would
be a good idea for values the xxID terms to be GUIDs.

So what I'm wondering is why doing that would be better than just
creating URI-identified object properties (a.k.a. predicates) that
describe the relationship between the object and subject?  Using the
ResourceRelationship terms just makes "understanding" the relationship
harder by requiring that the data consumer "look up" the value of the
relationshipOfResource string for every instance of a relationship and
then figure out if it's the same kind of relationship as one that the
consumer already knows or cares about.  As I see it, the bottom line is
that if we agree that it would be a best-practice for the xxID values to
be GUIDs (which would either be URIs or could be URIs that are proxied
UUIDs for UUID believers) and that the relationships should be
standardized, then the resource relationships boil down to RDF triples.
There's a URI for the subject, a URI for the object, and there could be
a URI for the relationshipOfResource which would have an rdfs:label
property that was the controlled value for the string that describes the
relationship.  The only difference that I see is that the RDF triples
could be more efficient to handle.

Don't like RDF or are scared of it?  Fine, make yourself an Excel
spreadsheet with three columns headed "subject", "predicate", and
"object" (or use your favorite database method).  Put the appropriate
URI in each column.  Viola!  Resource relationships.

The one thing about implementing the ResourceRelationship class
vocabulary that I think may be an improvement is use of the generic
terms for "by whom", "date", and "remarks".  At the present moment, we
are in the process of expanding DwC by adding class-specific terms to do
these things in nearly every class.  We have recordedBy,
georeferencedBy, identifiedBy, occurrenceRemarks, locationRemarks,
eventDate, georeferencedDate, etc. rather than just using
relationshipAccordingTo, relationshipEstablishedDate, and
relationshipRemarks which could do the same thing generically in any
class.  Add columns to the above-described Excel spreadsheet for
relationshipAccordingTo, relationshipEstablishedDate, and
relationshipRemarks if you want to track those things.

I think I understand why the ResourceRelationship class was created.  It
seems like a way to move forward under the worse-case scenario where
GUIDs never get off the ground, where no one ever agrees what the core
biodiversity classes are, and where no one ever establishes object
properties that connect those classes.  But if no one ever has the guts
to try to lay out the core classes and object properties that connect
them, then what good are a million unstandardized ResourceRelationship
instances that can't be unambiguously IDed?  Nobody will ever be able to
figure out anything useful from them and Rod Page's prophecy of doom
will come true.

Somebody please show me where I'm wrong here...
Steve

VU Station B 351634

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu