[tdwg-content] RDF/OWL - Please answer these questions.

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Nov 16 17:09:02 CET 2011

Dear Steve,

Sure, it is taxonomy heavy. A number of the other resources of interest have RDF sources that aren't managed by members of this community, so I'm not sure they'll be captured by this survey (unless people add what they consume, or may, as well as serve).

There are several vocabularies for sequences, genes, etc. that are used by services such as Bio2RDF, for example (sadly these ignore much of the stuff that is of interest in biodiversity, such as the link to the specimen).

Maybe a better way to do this is have a tool that people can use to upload a URL, it fetches the RDF, reports what vocabularies are used, and creates a graph or table of how that relates to other vocabularies.

If RDF is as easy and as self describing as we think it is, this survey should be a simple task that could be done using RDF tools, or am I missing something...?

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy