[tdwg-content] Heretics and illuminati, oh my! [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Tue May 10 04:37:25 CEST 2011

Steve,

I have been explaining this since at least 2006.

I have made several proposals including the recent dwc_area.owl, which
incorporates both geo and some estimate of extent/error.

In order to do this correctly you need to use URI's that correctly resolve
following semantic web standards.

It is still not clear to me and probably others where the authoritative DWC
vocabulary is.

I have made several trips to vist other groups and work some issues out and
get these connected to related efforts like the GNI.

It was planned that Rich and I were going to try connecting these to his
TNU's once he has gotten his head above water. (figuratively)

You did not ask about these specific issues until you had already completed
your vocabulary.

In other words, you started this without really understanding what exists or
existing semantic web practices.

As was mentioned earlier it is relatively easy to link via equivalent
property and equivalent class.

Based on the examples from Rich and an earlier bird example from David
Remsen I would say that the David's three birds and the Rich's two fish
should get different concept URI's.

These concept URI's should be supported by photo's and specimens etc that
give users some guidance as to what kinds of things are instances of that
concept and what things are not instances of that concept.

If Rich choose the supporting individuals and references then he would be
the editor of that concept, linked in a machine interpretable way to that
concept.

Centropyge fisheri    se:q72fd
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/q72fd#Species  the html version for the
concept could be this http://www.eol.org/pages/221698
Centropyge flavicauda se:Mj6j4
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/Mj6j4#Species  the html version for the
concept could be this http://www.eol.org/pages/224676

What is missing from these examples are a curated set of specimens and
photographs which are linked via their own URI's

Ideally you want try to keep these concepts from overlapping so when someone
tags their specimens or other data it should be clear which is the most
appropriate concept.

Now someone can review the candidates and make the assertion that the fish
in their hand is an instance of this concept using a relatively stable URI
that is simple to include in publications, is trackable and links to the
editor Rich.

Merging these later would be relatively simple, splitting further is
possible but more complicated.

For the fish example you might want to link to a different concept on the
web that indicates (and makes findable) related concepts where the set of
specimens are different.

This was the area of modeling that I was planning on working out with Rich.

What I propose also allows tracking of multiple individuals, parts of
individuals and individuals over time.

I just have not marked up examples of these.

Note that the Plant List seems to do something like this but without URI's,
representative photos or linked specimens. In addition it is not open or
machine interpretable.

Respectfully,

- Pete

Email: pdevries at wisc.edu