[tdwg-content] If you need something for referring to a population, then it is probably best to do it as a related class

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Mon May 9 17:12:44 CEST 2011

On May 9, 2011, at 4:24 AM, Mikel Egaña Aranguren wrote:

> Just to add to the discussion, puning can be used to model clases as
> instances. In fact, a common pattern I'm seing and I'm using is to
> use puning and have a class hierarchy, each class having an instance
> with the same URI, so one can refer to each class as a class or as
> an instance, depending on the context.

The punning feature in OWL2 is very nice indeed. But one should not
forget that depending on the use the subject (or object) is either the
class *or* the instance. I.e., there is a "class view" of the resource
identified by the URI,  and an instance view. This is different from
referring to a class as an instance. So things you say about the URI
using object properties you say about the instance identified by that
URI, just as you would if you used a generated instance URI, and the
rules that apply to that are no different from the rules that apply if
you said those things about an instance with a randomly generated URI.
For example, if you say conflicting things about it, you still say
these about one and the same instance, not "some", possibly different,
instances.

	-hilmar
: Hilmar Lapp  -:- Durham, NC -:- informatics.nescent.org :