[tdwg-content] Heretics and illuminati, oh my! [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul Murray pmurray at anbg.gov.au
Mon May 9 03:34:17 CEST 2011

On 06/05/2011, at 8:59 PM, Steve Baskauf wrote:

> However, we went beyond that in the Taxon class.  We declared that dwc:Taxon was equivalent to tc:Taxon (Taxon in the TDWG ontology, which is declared within the TDWG ontology to be the same thing as tc:TaxonConcept).  Our motivation was to try to add some clarity to what exactly the dwc:Taxon class was (that wasn't exactly clear to us) and also to avoid having to try to describe the properties of the Taxon class since they were already described (to some extent) within the TDWG ontology.

I believe it is the case that if you declare two classes to be equivalent, then any restrictions migrate across both ways.

Hang on ... I'll write myself a little test case in protege. I declare tdwg and dwc Name and Taxon classes, and declare that the dwc Name and Taxon class are different to each other

(NB: I don't mean to imply that this actually is the case in DwC)

and equivalent to the respective tdwg classes - that in DwC, a name is not a taxon is not a name. When we do something that is ok in the tdwg space - declare that some individual is both a name and a taxon, then the HermiT reasoner straight away complains that the ontology is inconsistent.

If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies. If this e-mail or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information in the e-mail or attachments.