[tdwg-content] If you need something for referring to a population, then it is probably best to do it as a related class

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed May 4 18:30:06 CEST 2011

Steve,

Earlier in the thread you commented that reasoning about taxonomies wasn't
your main goal, but that others might be interested in that facet.  I wanted
to point out that Dave Thau, who was extensively involved in the development
of TCS in his role on the SEEK project, did a lot of work on reasoning over
biological taxonomies in his dissertation work.  He published a number of
very useful papers on these experiments in taxonomic reasoning, which are
available here: http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~thau/ -- I find the
Ecological Informatics article one of the more approachable of the set, but
they all say a lot about the power and pitfalls of reasoning over
taxonomies.

Nice work on DSW, and thanks for the effort you've been investing here.

Matt