[tdwg-content] FW: Habitat classifications?

Annie Simpson asimpson at usgs.gov
Fri Mar 25 21:29:39 CET 2011

Tony and Robert:

Sorry to take so long to chime in on resources for habitat
classifications. Alexa McKerrow of the US Gap Analysis Program (GAP)
suggests that the United States National Vegetation Classification (USNVC)
website (http://usnvc.org) may also be useful, and also NatureServe's
discussion of the IVC  (International Vegetation Classification) at
http://www.natureserve.org/explorer/classeco.htm and elsewhere.

Also FYI, GAP used the Ecological Systems classification as a basis for a
map legend, but they are working towards the USNVC as the standard.  It is
hierarchical and the crosswalk standard for US federal programs.

Annie Simpson
US Geological Survey
Core Science Systems
Mailstop 302