[tdwg-content] Darwin Core pending terms resolution

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 29 08:53:33 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I am preparing to resolve outstanding issues with new terms that have
been proposed for the Darwin Core following the procedure outlined in
the Darwin Core Namespace Policy
(http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/namespace/index.htm#classesofchanges),
section 3.4. The list of terms under consideration include the
following, the original proposals for which can be found  in the
Darwin Core Issue Tracker
(http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/list):

DigitalStillImage (type vocabulary)
Individual (class) and individualRemarks
dcterms:source
alive/dead status
yearOfPublication
geo:lat and geo:lng
georeferencedDate

The process for ratification calls for a 30-day public comment period.
I will create separate threads explaining the current status for each
of the terms or term combinations listed above so that the commentary
can be tracked for each. Terms that pass the 30 days with consensus
(which will be measured by a lack of dissenting opinion) will be
entered into the Darwin Core vocabulary and I will make adjustments to
the documentation, schemas, and canonical RDF representation of the
standard. Terms that remain controversial will remain in the
commentary stage until another semi-annual review can be undertaken.
Questions or concerns about this process are welcome.

John