[tdwg-content] RFC 4122 as motivation, was Re: Why UUIDs alone are not adequate as GUIDs

Gregor Hagedorn g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 10:07:17 CEST 2011

While I generally accept Bob's careful research, and while I think it
is imperative that multiple IDs are allowed in principle, as to avoid
monopolies, my feeling is:

* The number of IDs should be minimized.
* The http:-URI is defacto the most relevant ID in the semantic web.
* Avoid multiple alternative ways of embedding a UUID-string in a
resolvable URI. All forms have to be added as sameAs information. They
become ballast for future generations.

That is: take the http-ID serious as a resource requiring long-term
management and persistence.

Finally: Success is measured by the adoption by people not visiting
tdwg meetings. This is a social issue.

The last point is my main reservation about the TDWG Applicability
Statement for GUID's.

Gregor