[tdwg-content] DwC Occurrence [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 00:47:21 CEST 2011

There are too many ideas here for me to digest at once, but I have some
comments.

One of the problems with my examples is that I have to make a separate code
base to fully support each "thing" I try to include

In my occurrence examples I simply stub out an "individual", it would have
been better to have these exist as a separate table.

One data set might make statements about a specific individual and coin
their own URI for that individual, that is later observed and recorded in a
different data set.

Since it is difficult to determine ahead of time what other studies might
have data about that same individual, it would be easiest to create the
following triple after verifying that it is true.

IndividualDataSetA owl:sameAs IndividualDataSetB

Also I have no examples for unknown or partially identified taxa.

My thinking is that this is still a kind of species concept but one that is
unspecified. I don't think it would be good to mark it up as only an
instance of a genus.

So something like <SpeciesConceptUnspecifiedInsect_Culex>

This would indicate that the individual has been identified as some Insect
in the genus Culex,

This can be interpreted as as asserting that the individual is an instance
of some species concept within the Insect genus Culex.

The way to deal with observations of multi-individual groups might be
handled with "something like" the following:

A swarm of bees
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/z9oqP#MultipleIndividualGroup

This has different allowed properties than an individual.

For instance it could have a count for each sex.

male:2
female:1000
immature:0

#Swarm could be a subproperty of #MultipleIndividualGroup

This is somewhat like a #Population, but I can think of instances where the
#Population and #MultipleIndividualGroup are different things.

- Pete

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provenance>

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology