[tdwg-content] Producing a global taxon register (was:ITIS TSNID to uBio NamebankIDs mapping)

Chuck Miller Chuck.Miller at mobot.org
Sun Jun 5 21:35:37 CEST 2011

One of the complicating factors in producing a GTR is the human or real-world element.  Even if all the academically/taxonomist-generated correct name-taxon relationships could be modeled to the satisfaction of all the use cases that are out there, and that seems nigh impossible based on list traffic of the last few months that seem to suggest a few use cases are orthogonal, there then comes the truth that the only facts that can be employed in a digital/online repository have to be digital. Mental and print-only concepts are out of reach for computers. The vast majority of taxonomic facts are still in paper form, even after all the work of BHL. And the digitized facts are practically never comprehensive, frequently leaving out the really useful details for a taxon concept, and those suboptimal name-taxon facts then have the inevitable human errors randomly mixed in.  I think we need techniques and processes that work with the real name and taxon data that are available with all their imperfections/gaps to arrive at a "best guess" about taxon relationships rather than expecting the availability of ideal data to populate an ideal GTR. We need better algorithms, models, and services that work with fuzzy concepts, probabilities, quality indices, and possibly sensitivity analyses to deal with missing, inaccurate and conflicting name and taxon data sources.

Chuck

Chuck Miller
VP-IT & CIO
Missouri Botanical Garden