[tdwg-content] use cases and competency questions

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Thu Jul 28 05:10:44 CEST 2011

Hi Joel -

No you didn't miss my point. And to clarify, in order to allow occurrences of wolf packs, we do need to allow for them to be included in the scope of Individual, don't we? So whether it matters or not that a wolf pack is included in the scope of Individual or not doesn't just depend on the query but also on the data you want to apply it to, no? For example, if we decided that wolf packs are outside of the scope for Individual, then the query below wouldn't find their occurrences because they would be represented in a way different from the Individual linked to the occurrence though DwC:ofIndividual.

But frankly, I should have kept my mouth shut to start with. For one, the suggestions I have made don't seem to be useful, so I'd rather not add to the confusion further by making more. Personally I also think that mailing lists are rather poorly suited for sorting out ontology building questions when there is considerable controversy and divergent viewpoints, and I think this and other parallel threads demonstrate this nicely. For this reason, other communities I'm familiar with save up such issues and sort them out in dedicated face-to-face meetings (sometimes called jamborees). In my experience there is no good substitute for that.

-hilmar

Sent with a tap.