[tdwg-content] use cases and competency questions

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 04:42:37 CEST 2011

As to competency questions, this might help more than a definition,
since there is no agreed upon one:
http://marinemetadata.org/references/competencyquestionsoverview Maybe
there is something better since this was written.

As to use cases, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_case is fair enough,
but probably more than you want to know.

http://www.cragsystems.co.uk/SFRWUC/ is a pretty good tutorial for use
case modeling with UML, and in about 4-5 clicks will get you to both
definition and examples. You probably don't need to go further than
that, especially because the further in you get, the more nit-picky is
this particular tutorial.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Steve Baskauf
<steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
> For the benefit of the uninitiated (that would be me and possibly
> others), could someone please post definitions of "competency question"
> and "use case" along with a couple of examples of each?
>
> Steve
>
> --
> Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
> Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences
>
> postal mail address:
> VU Station B 351634
> Nashville, TN  37235-1634,  U.S.A.
>
> delivery address:
> 2125 Stevenson Center
> 1161 21st Ave., S.
> Nashville, TN 37235
>
> office: 2128 Stevenson Center
> phone: (615) 343-4582,  fax: (615) 343-6707
> http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu

Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390
IT Staff
Filtered Push Project
Department of Organismal and Evolutionary Biology
Harvard University

email: morris.bob at gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://etaxonomy.org/mw/FilteredPush