[tdwg-content] Darwin Core vernacularName field

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Sat Jul 23 01:31:21 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I recommend reading all of the documents pertaining to the Darwin Core
(http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/), as there are many misconceptions surfacing
here. I'll try to summarize, but this shouldn't be taken as a
substitute for the "facts", which are the standard a published.

The Darwin Core is first and foremost a set of terms - the common
ground through which we seek to convey biodiversity information, so
that when we label something with one of these terms, we all have the
potential to understand what it means. The canonical form of this set
of terms is defined in RDF. The rest is about implementation, for
which there are many documents and reference specifications as part of
the standard, and many software tools that make use of them.

The Simple Darwin Core is just one of the many ways of using Darwin
Core terms. Simple Darwin Core has its uses and its limitations. It is
easy to produce, reflects a lot of the data we have, and must be
"flat" by design. The Simple Darwin Core can be used as a "core" to
structured data as well, as implemented in the GBIF Integrated
Publishing Toolkit (IPT) software, which accepts a "core" record as a
Taxon or Occurrence and allows that to be extended in a structures
that can be expressed in a star schema - basically one level of remove
from "flat", where all extensions are related only to the core, but
each of which can express a one-to-many relationship to that core
record. This isn't "The Darwin Core", it is one example of what
someone has done with the Darwin Core in software to make it useful.
This text-based use of the Darwin Core is supported by the
documentation in the Darwin Core Text Guide
(http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/guides/text/index.htm), which describes
the specifications of a Darwin Core Archive.

That doesn't mean Darwin Core can't support highly relational data.
Reference schemas for XML
(http://darwincore.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/xsd/), and documents on
how to use XML for Darwin Core
(http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/guides/xml/index.htm) are a part of the
standard, and have been both implemented and extended on at least two
occasions (Germplasm Extension for genetic resources -
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore-germplasm/downloads/detail?name=ipt_germplasm_0_1.xml&can=2&q=;
 and Apiary Extension for Herbarium specimen labels -
http://www.apiaryproject.org/about-apiary-project). These schemas can
be used to share documents in XML using, for example, the TapirLink
software (http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/TAPIR/TapirLink), which
implements another of TDWG's standards - TAPIR (the TDWG Access
Protocol for Information Retrieval -
http://www.tdwg.org/standards/449/). This XML-based use of the Darwin
Core is supported by the Darwin Core XML Guide
(http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/guides/xml/index.htm), which describes
how to use and construct Darwin Core schemas.

People will naturally ask about Darwin Core in RDF. The canonical form
of the Darwin Core is an RDF document, which contains all of the
attributes of every term, including the RDF attributes that relate all
of the terms to each other, and to terms in other standards such as
Dublin Core. There is no RDF Guide in the body of Darwin Core
documents published with the standard. This was intentional. It
reflects our level of competence as a community in semantic-web
technologies at the time the standard was published. Many excellent
discussions around that topic have taken place here on this list in an
effort to fill the gap for those who would like to link biodiversity
and other data in new ways. That subject begs for dedicated attention
from those who have the skills and resources to lead it forward.

In summary, the Darwin Core is a living standard (in the sense of
being active), having mechanisms to expand and adapt around its core
competency, which is the definition of the meaning of the common terms
through which we would like to promote the sharing of biodiversity
information.