[tdwg-content] Darwin Core vernacularName field

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 20:03:41 CEST 2011

Wait. You weren't talking about using Simple DwC for data in the
backend were you? That's not the primary purpose of Simple DwC, which
is rather, an exchange standard. It could be used in the backend if
the backend is a single flat table living within its restrictions, but
you already know that you can't live with that.

I don't think DwC per-se is in danger of painting itself into a
corner.  The GBIF Data Portal serves 293M taxon occurrence records
ingested from 339 different data providers and served in, among other
forms, DwC.  Seems like a pretty big corner to me. (Though I may be
the only regular reader of this list who doesn't know whether it
ingests and/or serves Simple DwC.... ).

I'd dare say that you'd get a lot of disagreement from TDWG members
who have designed complex XML-Schemas about how wonderful the
extension mechanisms for XML are, if one cares about structure
constrained by an XML-Schema.  One is pretty much limited to use of
xs:any --- which somewhat defeats the purpose of a schema
language---or something dynamic like WSDL and SOAP wherein the client
discovers the Schema at query time, or runtime-applied rule languages
like Schematron.

Bob Morris

--
Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390
IT Staff
Filtered Push Project
Department of Organismal and Evolutionary Biology
Harvard University

email: morris.bob at gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://etaxonomy.org/mw/FilteredPush