[tdwg-content] FW: Darwin Core vernacularName field

Amanda Neill aneill at brit.org
Thu Jul 21 17:38:55 CEST 2011

I've often thought that when we talk about common/vernacular names we
are speaking at two different levels of application.  Many (most?)
herbarium specimen labels do not include any vernacular name.  Those
object records would therefore have nothing in the vernacularName
element, and would not be found in a database by searching with a
vernacular name.  However, one can also (perhaps more appropriately)
apply vernacular name at the level of taxon, and well-designed
interfaces might display this for ALL specimen objects belonging to that
taxon, also allowing all specimens to be located and retrieved when a
user searches by vernacular name only.  But we must be able to represent
BOTH vernacularName from the object label AND vernacularName as commonly
applied to the taxon (because these might differ regionally).  Can the
DwC element do both?

I too feel it is useful to indicate the language of the vernacular name
and concatenate multiple vernacular names.  One way we have done it is
parenthetically: "Chives (English); Ciboulette (French)" but that may
not be the right way to do it.

Amanda

Amanda K. Neill |  Director of the Herbarium (BRIT-SMU-VDB) |  BRIT
<http://www.brit.org/>  |  817.546.1842 |  817.332.4112 fax  |  BRIT.org
<http://www.brit.org/>   | 1700 University Dr., Fort Worth, TX
76107-3400 USA | Think Before You Print