[tdwg-content] New terms need resolution: "Individual" [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Steven J. Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Jul 12 14:36:24 CEST 2011

I forgot to mention in my earlier email that I would like to see the
definition of BiologicalEntity include clarification of whether the
"single taxon" is required to be taxonomically homogeneous or if it is
allowed to be taxonomically heterogeneous.  I have expressed a
preference in the past that it be restricted to taxonomically
homogeneous entities, but I believe that in the extended discussion that
took place about six months ago, a definition such as the one currently
on the table was understood to allow taxonomic heterogeneity.  I believe
that as a practical matter, allowing taxonomic hetergeneity introduces
some significant complications, but I'm willing to live with it if
that's what it takes to get this issue resolved.  See
http://code.google.com/p/darwin-sw/wiki/ClassIndividual
and
http://code.google.com/p/darwin-sw/wiki/TaxonomicHeterogeneity
for my attempt to summarize the history of the extended discussion which
took place on this subject and what I believe to be the implications of
allowing "individuals" to be taxonomically heterogeneous or not.

Steve