[tdwg-content] New terms need resolution: "Individual"

Chuck Miller Chuck.Miller at mobot.org
Mon Jul 11 18:05:15 CEST 2011

I agree with Rich.  All the standard terms need clear definitions to
reduce the variation in usage.  Single or double words will never be
sufficient to clarify all the permutations that seem to crop up when
applying the terms to actual data sets.  Clear definitions with multiple
examples are necessary to minimize the GIGO problem.

I think we also have some terms that may have different meanings when
used in context with other terms.  The "source" term has been discussed
this week and its alternatives.  But, the meaning of source or
ReferencedBy or related terms, can vary depending upon the other term
with which it is being associated.  These contextually-varying meanings
could also be included in the definitions and examples.

Chuck