[tdwg-content] New term resolution: dcterms:source

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Sat Jul 9 18:09:10 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Gregor Hagedorn <g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 7 July 2011 21:37, John Wieczorek <tuco at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> > Except that the relationship meant by isReferencedBy is in the opposite
> > direction. It would mean that "this record is referenced by some other
> > resource." What we need is "this record references some other resource"
> > which would be dcterms:references.
> > I could be convinced that dcterms:references is the general solution for
> > what Markus has requested. Could Markus?
>
> Perhaps both is needed. My understanding was that if you have a
> specimen record, entered e.g. by a collection (but not "taken" from a
> publication), and the specimen is being referenced in a publication,
> isReferencedBy is the right property to point to the publication.

For which there is a term dwc:associatedReferences.  Even if this term isn't
exactly the same as dcterms:isReferencedBy, this is getting into a concept
different from the one being requested. If dcterms:isReferencedBy actually
needed for real-world uses by multiple independent parties, then the case
for it's addition should be made in the normal fashion (
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/namespace/index.htm#classesofchanges, section
3.4), with discussion in a different thread if the discussion has no bearing
on the current topic.