[tdwg-content] New terms need resolution: "Evidence"

Gregor Hagedorn g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 00:04:48 CEST 2011

> Specifically, there is a Darwin Core
> Occurrence class, but no separate class to explicitly represent the
> physical evidence for the Occurrence.

I think the proposed term CollectionObject cannot be a solution to the
the problem stated above. Item (organisms) can be evidence of an
occurrence, without being present in a collection.

Example: A radio-tagged whale. Tagged or geolocated tree in nature
(Zoologists note: very few plants move!).

> including "PhysicalObject", "Evidence", "PhysicalEvidence", "Sample",
> "Specimen", "CollectionObject" in the ASC model,
> "DataSets/DataSet/Units/Unit/..." in ABCD, "Representation" (Baskauf
> 2010) and "Token" as a preferred alternative to "Representation" in
> tdwg-content (http://lists.tdwg.org/pipermail/tdwg-content/2010-October/001742.html).

On Physical Object: Shall digitial vouchers be excluded or not?

If the role is the central concept that needs to be modeled, I would
propose something like "Voucher". A CollectionObject can then be a
kind of voucher.

Gregor