[tdwg-content] dcterms:creator

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Jan 14 15:29:19 CET 2011

It seems to me that part of the problem here is that there are several
types of resources that are being mixed.  There is the specimen itself,
there is the image of the specimen, and there is the metadata record.
The person digitizing the specimen is the dc:creator of the specimen
image.  The collector of the specimen or the collector's institution is
the dc:creator of the specimen.  The person entering the metadata into
the computer or that person's institution is the dc:creator of the
metadata record.  Of course a lot of people aren't going to care about
this level of detail in keeping separate records for those three types
of resources.  But those same people also probably aren't going to care
about keeping separate records of who all of the different creators are
either.

The same kind of issue exists with other terms, such as dc:language and
dcterms:created.  If you specify dc:language, is that the language on
the specimen label, the language of other things on the image (like text
on added scale bars), or the language of the metadata?  Again, I think
the solution is to be clear about what resource one is talking about
rather than to try to come up with separate terms for creator, language,
and created for three different types of resources.

Steve