[tdwg-content] most GUIDs/URIs for names/taxon stuff not ready for prime time

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Jan 9 13:17:17 CET 2011

Well, Rod is pretty much describing me.  I'm not a taxonomist and mostly
find taxonomic discussions annoying.  I pay attention to the byzantine
taxonomy stuff only because I feel like I have to.  I would like to use
URIs that link to some source that takes care of the taxonomic stuff so
that I don't have to provide the information myself.  But I would like
to only use URIs that are going to be in widespread use in the future.
To use an analogy, I'm shopping for a video player.  I want to make sure
that I don't end up buying a Betamax and then find out later that
everybody else is using VHS (OK, that dates me - I don't want to buy
HD-DVD and find out that everybody else is using Blu-ray).   Is uBio a
Betamax/HD-DVD?  I was thinking that the Global Names Index looked like
VHS (or Blu-ray), but when I look in the box I only see the instruction
book - the actual video player seems to be missing.  The conclusion that
I'm reaching at this point is that it is too early for me to buy.

Am I wrong about this?  What is the likelihood that this situation will
change in the next year (i.e. that there will be usable URIs with
minimal metadata for GNI names)?
Steve

> Most users outside our field won't give a damn about the niceties of
> these distinctions, yet we persist in discussing them ad nauseam.
> Until we provide a single, very simple service that takes a name
> string and hides all this complexity (unless the user chooses to see
> the gory details) while still providing useful information, we will be
> stuck in multiple identifier hell. The tragedy is  we've never had
> more people genuinely interested in linking to names than at present
> -- publishers are desperately trying to add "semantic value" to their
> content, and we are spectacularly ill-equipped to deliver this (and
> it's our own fault).
>
> I rather suspect we're rapidly approaching the point where users
> outside taxonomy will simply say "to hell with these taxonomists,
> let's just use Wikipedia and be done with it."
>
> Regards
>
> Rod

> Roderic Page
> Professor of Taxonomy
> Institute of Biodiversity, Animal Health and Comparative Medicine
> College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences
> Graham Kerr Building
> University of Glasgow
> Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
>
> Email: r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk