[tdwg-content] most GUIDs/URIs for names/taxon stuff not ready for prime time

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 21:49:04 CET 2011

There are too many ideas to respond to at once but there is one issue that
is being overblown.

That is this issue of uptime.

If these resources are exposed properly at any given time there should be
several copies of any resource available somewhere else in the cloud.

For instance, if EUNIS or Bioimages is down, the data is still available on
my SPARQL endpoint.

In the case of EUNIS is should also be available at:

http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/fct/

<http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/fct/>http://sindice.com/

<http://sindice.com/>And probably many other places.

Yes, we all strive for 99.99% uptime, but I had my choice I would rather
that these sites spend what little developmental resources they have
on properly exposing real semantic web identifiers than on a site that has
99.99% uptime but exposed LSID's.

The Linked Data system has build in redundancy, we might as well take
advantage of it.

Respectfully,

- Pete

Pete DeVries