[tdwg-content] most GUIDs/URIs for names/taxon stuff not ready for prime time

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jan 6 09:28:09 CET 2011

Dear Steve,

Yep, the Emperor has no clothes.

I don't think the failure of LSIDs is completely down to LSID-specific
issues. HTTP URIs in the linked data sense have their own issues, and
if you follow the technical discussions every so often people get very
agitated about the (in)famous HTTP 303 redirect solution to
information versus non-information resources. DOIs are also
technically non-trivial to implement.

I suspect the failure of LSIDs is due to a combination of issues:

1. Most biodiversity data providers are small, poorly resourced
operations that can't guarantee 24/7 operations

2. Nobody provides central support/monitoring of LSIDs (i.e., there is
no CrossRef equivalent where you can report a broken LSID and have a
reasonable expectation that someone will fix it).

3. The community as a whole doesn't value unique identifiers (if they
did, we wouldn't be in this mess)

4. There are no LSID consumers. The scientific publishing industry's
linking infrastructure depends on DOIs, publishers use CrossRef
services as part of their publishing workflow. There is no equivalent
for our field (another way of restating #3).

These issues won't go away simply by replacing LSIDs with HTTP URIs.
Some of the linked data sources go belly up fairly regularly (notably http://bio2rdf.org
).

Regarding specifics, Catalogue of Life LSIDs have been broken for over
a year (see http://iphylo.blogspot.com/2010/01/thoughts-on-international-year-of.html
  ). Nobody seems to care (see #3 above).

IPNI supports versioning of LSIDs, but the LSID without the version is
also valid (it resolves to the latest version). I think this is a
perfectly valid thing to do. Versioning matters to some, but not
everyone cares about it, IPNI supports both views. If you want to cite
a specific version, do so, if not, don't.

Index Fungorum's web services are broken (see #1 above).

The data/metadata distinction is a complete red herring and has side-
tracked more LSID conversations than I care to remember. The
distinction stems from LSIDs originally being conceived as identifiers
for large data objects (e.g., sequences, images, binary streams) that
people want accurately versioned so that could reproduce digital
experiments. In this scenario, metadata can change because it's not
what mattered for this reproducibility. Some people think of data
about  taxonomic names as "metadata", and then we're off on a wild
goose chase about should LSIDs change when metadata changes. I
wouldn't loose any sleep over this (see discussion of IPNI above).

uBio is one of the few success stories of biodiversity informatics
(props to Dave Remsen and David Patterson for setting this up, and
people like Anthony Goddard for keeping it running). They've had LSIDs
running since about 2005, and pretty much the only reason I keep my
LSID server running is because they use some vocabulary terms I coined
way back when.

Regarding DOIs for books, these are uncommon, although there are moves
to express ISBNs within the DOI framework, so there may be more of
these. But for a DOI to exist someone has to claim ownership of a
resource and register the DOI with CrossRef. For a lot of older
literature there won't be a publisher around to do this, but that's
where BHL comes in.

In summary, we're in a mess, and I don't think this is really down to
technology. It's a failure of our community to create the appropriate
resources (e.g., centralised, curated resources of identifiers and
associated metadata for names, publications, and specimens).

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy