[tdwg-content] GUIDs for publications (usages and names)

Dean Pentcheff pentcheff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 00:02:57 CET 2011

A wrinkle on this is that the authority information (name and year)
are not the same thing as the actual original publication. Nor is the
bibliographic metadata for a publication the same thing as the
publication.

My hypothesis is that taxonomists (and taxonomy) "want" linkage like this:
    taxon name ==> correct authority information ==> correct
bibliographic metadata ==> actual original publication (full-text)

In the general case, you can't determine the authority date by
inspection of the actual original publication. You often need external
information regarding publication mechanics. (Yes, I know that the
date printed on the publication is the correct date of publication for
most papers, but anyone who's dealt with taxonomic literature knows
that there are many, many exceptions to that.)

I'm not sure that they actually want:
    taxon name ==> actual original publication (full-text)

Which is why I start thinking about a GUID for the curated, corrected
bibliographic metadata as something distinct from a GUID for the
actual publication.

-Dean
--
Dean Pentcheff