[tdwg-content] More schema-last (was Monkey Business)

joel sachs jsachs at csee.umbc.edu
Sun Feb 20 03:32:19 CET 2011

Hi Shawn,

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, Shawn Bowers wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>
> I think the OWL model in general is "schema-last".

A good point, although I would phrase it differently and say that rdf,
in general, is highly compatible with schema-last. But it's also
compatible with decidedly non schema-last practices. For example,
we could require that all instance data be validated with an ontology,
and not have a mechansim for updating the ontology in response to the
frustrations of our users.

Anyway, I'd be happy to stop using the phrase, and instead talk about
specifics of what our ontologies should look like, and where they should
come from.

Regards,
Joel.