[tdwg-content] Darwin Core XML data using class terms

Donald.Hobern at csiro.au Donald.Hobern at csiro.au
Thu Aug 4 06:09:32 CEST 2011

Thanks, Joel.

I didn't get any other responses.  You are correct that my concern is the absence of well-defined heuristics for moving from a complex data record to the preferred simple record.  I'd still be interested in any projects which had sought to address this issue.  It will certainly arise as the use of class-based DwC expands beyond projects focussed on exploring semantic technology within biodiversity informatics to reach those who need much more black-and-white records (or the ability to reject records as insufficiently black-and-white).

The GBIF Data Portal certainly faced the same issue with consumption of ABCD data alongside DwC and I was never totally comfortable with the results.  Part of the problem was that the semantics of an ABCD Unit record with multiple Identifications was not tightly defined.  Some databases used this as a way to present information on a specimen or sample which in fact contains more than one species.  Other databases used it to detail a history of identifications for a specimen, with or without a clear indication of which identification is currently accepted.

The issue is closely parallel to those in tagging images with multiple scientific names in the EOL Flickr group.  Tagging with multiple names may indicate multiple taxa or an attempt to be useful to consumers using different classifications.  With images for EOL, the problem may not be severe - the implication is that the photo could appropriately be displayed on any page associated with any of the supplied taxonomy:* tags.  For a specimen identification, determining the intent behind multiple identifications is much more central to understanding how the data can be used.

Donald

Donald Hobern, Director, Atlas of Living Australia
CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences, GPO Box 1700, Canberra, ACT 2601
Phone: (02) 62464352 Mobile: 0437990208
Email: Donald.Hobern at csiro.au
Web: http://www.ala.org.au/