[tdwg-content] Darwin Core vs. Simple Darwin Core

Donald.Hobern at csiro.au Donald.Hobern at csiro.au
Thu Aug 4 06:00:01 CEST 2011

Hi Joel,

When I wrote that "using dwc:vernacularName_en, etc. would compromise" the naked terms (the primary layer, in the multi-layer model being suggested), you are quite correct that we could add a bunch of vernacularName_xx terms to DwC, but this would involve 1) an enormous expansion of defined DwC terms, and 2) a need for consumers either to use a secondary semantic layer or special ad-hoc string manipulation to recognise that these can all be treated as subproperties of vernacularName.  It's just a major adjustment to the basic simplicity of consuming DwC.  On the other hand, I guess that vernacular names are really rather a secondary label field for most application uses and the loss might not be too drastic.

If the perceived issue relates to the repeated use of a single DwC term within a record, I also think the proposed solution may not meet the case.  A species can just as easily have multiple vernacular names in use within a single language.  Consumers which might have had a problem consuming >1 vernacularName element are likely still to have the same problem even if they are distinguished as coming from different languages.

Donald

Donald Hobern, Director, Atlas of Living Australia
CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences, GPO Box 1700, Canberra, ACT 2601
Phone: (02) 62464352 Mobile: 0437990208
Email: Donald.Hobern at csiro.au