[tdwg-content] DwC for the semantic web

Ke Chung Kim kck at psu.edu
Thu Apr 28 18:29:47 CEST 2011

Dear Steve:

Thanks for getting us information on the tdwg-content via email
discussion.  I am a taxonomist/systematist working with diverse
insects and for the last two decades have been actively involved in
biodiversity issues, specifically insect biodiversity.  Although I
have not followed your continued discussion on the issue last fall, I
thought I should raise several points on individual, population and
species in the context of the tdwg-contents: DwC for the semantic web.

I am impressed with enthusiasm and dedication of the tdwg for
biodiversity informatics.  Assuming your focus is primarily in the
taxonomic context, your effort related to bio-informatics has a
considerable impact on the issues related to biodiversity
homogenization and biodiversity assessment.  This involves the first
detection and establishment of invasive species that is expressed in
terms of individual (specimen), population, or species related to
location of discovery/detection and establishment of population in
specific habitat unit.  Similarly, biodiversity assessment involves
the defined spatial unit and community structure and assemblage that
consists of individuals and population of resident species that could
be small numbers to several hundreds of species.  I have not seen any
discussion on the application of your effort under tdwg, although you
may have already dealt with these issues of application for your work
through your discussion.  I would like to know the position of your
group on these application for your current discussion on
hand.  Thanks for your response.

K. C. Kim
Ke Chung Kim, Ph. D., Dipl.-ABFE
Professor Emeritus and Curator
Department of Entomology,
Frost Entomological Museum, 127 Headhouse #3;
Tel: 814-863-2863; Fax: 814-865-3048 (ENT);
Director Emeritus, Center for BioDiversity Research
PSIEE, Land and Water Research Bldg.,
Pennsylvania State University,
University Park, PA 16802, U.S.A.;
Tel: 814-863-0159; Fax: 814-865-3378 (PSIEE)
Home: 213 Morningside Circle, State college, PA 16803-1347
Tel: 814-234-1718; Fax: 814-234-8327
Founding Chair, Board of the DMZ Forum, Inc., NY
http://www.ento.psu.edu/Personnel/Faculty/kim.htm