[tdwg-content] poking from TDWG wiki's

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 21:18:40 CEST 2011

What if the list tdwg-content received a notification from each TDWG wiki
when a page changed? These are fairly unobtrusive and presently infrequent
(because most TDWG wiki's are inactive). They summarize the change and give
links to the new content. I believe that they are set to notify only once a
day. I \think/ this can be accomplished without more than edit privilege on
the wikis, and if nobody raises major objection, I'll try to implement it
for SDD, MRTG, and AnnotationsIG and we can see if it is a help or an
annoyance.

Pros: No need to make announcements or comments in two places. WikiLuddites
can still respond in the mailing list. No need to opt-in for Wiki change
notices. One click to relevant information.

Cons: Default is to summarize changes, so people who want to respond in the
mailing list have to proactively visit the relevant Wiki and perhaps
cut/paste into their reply. Spammy feeling if a wiki suddenly become very
active. Wiki users who do not subscribe to tdwg-content won't see email
discussion of wiki pages.

Another possibility is to do this in some other mailing list, perhaps even
one devoted to entirely to the notifications. But to me, an active mailing
list seems more productive.  After all, wiki content is nothing if not TDWG
content....

Bob Morris

--
Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390

IT Staff
Filtered Push Project
Department of Organismal and Evolutionary Biology
Harvard University

email: morris.bob at gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://etaxonomy.org/mw/FilteredPush