[tdwg-content] Treatise on Occurrence, tokens, and basisOfRecord [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

joel sachs jsachs at csee.umbc.edu
Thu Oct 28 18:51:47 CEST 2010

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2010, at 11:58 AM, joel sachs wrote:
>
>> "An occurrence is a tuple consiting of time, place, individual, and some
>> optional properties."
>>
>> What's that lacking?
>

> Nothing in my mind. I missed that definition (was it yours?) :-)

Oh God ... maybe.

Looking back, you introudced the idea of a (taxonConcept, location, time)
tuple. Syntactically, I think

(taxonConcept, location, time)
(Individual, location, time)
(vernacularName, location, time)
(Identification, location, time)
etc.

should all be considered valid representations of an occurrence.
Semantically, the Individual strikes me as being implied in each case.

Joel.

- so much