[tdwg-content] Treatise on Occurrence, tokens, and basisOfRecord

Blum, Stan SBlum at calacademy.org
Wed Oct 27 09:31:59 CEST 2010

Hilmar,

I think Rich's statements are consistent:

1) An Occurrence is the intersection of an Individual and an Event (has
place and time dimensions); and
2) an Occurrence is an Individual bounded by (in) space and time.

It would be incorrect to truncate #2 as: "an occurrence is an individual",
or even to say that an individual is_a (kind of) occurrence.

In general, however, I agree with your point, we should try to be precise in
our definitions.  This whole discussion about individuals and occurrences
has driven home one of my pet peeves.  A lot of people refer to the millions
of records made accessible by GBIF as species occurrence records.  I think
that's an unfortunate simplification; they are organism occurrence records.
People identify those organisms as being members of a species.  There is
metadata in those identifications, which enables the assessment of fitness
for use.

-Stan