[tdwg-content] practical details of recording a determination What is an Occurrence?

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Wed Oct 27 05:10:02 CEST 2010

On Oct 25, 2010, at 4:45 AM, Cam Webb wrote:

>> Also, the quantification doesn't match: If A ro:part_of B, then all
>> instances of A part_of some instance of B. Obviously, there are
>> some fruits that haven't been recorded in an occurrence.
>
> I agree with this, but this must surely be a generic issue within
> the whole OBO/organismal annotation world - often a phenotype must
> be recorded for c, which is part_of c', without having considered
> every instance of C.

In the EQ model, the phenotype is recorded as some quality Q that
inheres in some entity E. E may be a composition (OWL intersection),
for example E that is part_of some E' (e.g., the process that is
part_of the urohyal bone): some quality Q that inheres in some (E and
part_of some E'). There is no need to consider every E: the statement
asserts that there is some instance of E that is also part_of some
instance of E' and in which some instance of Q inheres.

	-hilmar