[tdwg-content] Treatise on Occurrence, tokens, and basisOfRecord [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul Murray pmurray at anbg.gov.au
Mon Oct 25 04:21:44 CEST 2010

On 24/10/2010, at 10:02 AM, Steve Baskauf wrote:

> Bob has warned us about the dangers of asserting that a term always applies to a certain type of resource by asserting that the term has an rdfs:domain . However, we should not avoid attempting to assert that a resource is itself of a certain type.  Describing the "type" of a resource is an important part of letting potential users assess the possible fitness of use of that resource.

Absolutely. Removing the domain and range specifiers from the properties does rather take the "semantic" out of "the semantic web". The difficulty, however, is getting them right.

For instance: at the moment I am attempting to apply the DwC properties to our data at biodiversity.org.au. Our data has a fairly strict distinction between a name and a taxon. Taxon http://biodiversity.org.au/apni.taxon/54321 has name http://biodiversity.org.au/apni.taxon/2422 . To mark up these entities using the DwC properties, I would want to add
scientificNameID
nameAccordingToID
higherTaxonConceptID
to the taxon record, and
acceptedNameUsageID
namePublishedInID
originalNameUsageID
to the name record.

Now ... arguably the name record by itself can be taken as being the "nominal" taxon concept. But that's not really what our data means. As it is, I can add the properties without asserting that the name is a taxon.

However, I can think of two approaches to adding the domain. On the one hand, you could simply wear the implication. Yes indeed: an APNI "name" all by itself is indeed what DwC means by the word "taxon". Alternatively, the vocabulary could be corrected. A third approach: declaring my own property and stating that it is a superproperty of DwC:acceptedNameUsageID, seems like rather too much work.

By the way: is this the correct place to complain about missing bits and pieces in the DwC vocabulary?

------
If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies. If this e-mail or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information in the e-mail or attachments.

------