[tdwg-content] practical details of recording a determination What is an Occurrence?

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 21 06:58:02 CEST 2010

The "Guide to Best Practices for Georeferencing" (roughly 100 pages) can be
found among the GBIF Training Manuals at
http://www.gbif.org/participation/training/resources/gbif-training-manuals/
.

For those with less patience (or time, or need) for details, the primary
source for the "Best Practices", the "MaNIS/HerpNet/ORNIS Georeferencing
Guidelines" (roughly 28 printed pages) at
http://www.gbif.org/participation/training/resources/gbif-training-manuals/ is
a much shorter read with all of the fundamental salient points.

If you are really time-limited, or in need of a practical how-to guide, the
"Georeferencing for Dummies" (seven printed pages in Excel spreadsheet form)
at http://herpnet.org/documents/georeffordummy.xls is for you.

There are lots of other resources, and great tools for georeferencing, but
be advised that excessive georeferencing can lead to unstable mental states.
More than one of the graduates of the "Georeferencing Roadshow" (a series of
more than twenty international georeferencing workshops) has subsequently
required therapy when they ran out of records to georeference.

You've been warned. ;-)

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Steve Baskauf <steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu

[extensive snipping...]