[tdwg-content] practical details of recording a determination What is an Occurrence?

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Oct 19 21:16:43 CEST 2010

I was going by the definitions at
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#eventDate and
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#eventTime
Going by these definitions, eventDate is an ISO 8601 encoded thing that
can include both date and time (or only date at a lower resolution).
eventTime appears to only refer to the time (at least based on the
examples).  If we are going to call these things dwc:eventDate and
dwc:eventTime we have to go with the way they are defined in the Darwin
Core standard.
Steve

Mark Wilden wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Richard Pyle
> <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I originally had it as eventDate, but then switched to eventTime.  If
>> Date can include time (and Time is assumed not to include date), then using
>> eventDate is fine.
>>

> I would recommend using eventTime for a date + time-of-day. "Time" is
> more general than "date." This is the usage in the Ruby world.
>
> ///ark
> Web Applications Developer
> Center for Applied Biodiversity Informatics
> California Academy of Sciences

VU Station B 351634

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu