[tdwg-content] What is an Occurrence? [what about the "token"]

Nico Franz nico.franz at upr.edu
Mon Oct 18 01:10:18 CEST 2010

  Dear all:

    Interesting discussion. I meant to inject that, based on some
version of a "causal theory of reference", it is not relevant at all
that a contemporary identifier (a person) has actually read or is aware
of an original description, for him or her to still be causally linked
to that initial event of baptism through a chain of verbal and written
communication, and thus in essence have knowledge of what species X's
name according to authors Y and Z "means". Apologies for the convoluted
phrase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_theory_of_reference

    For downstream semantic resolution, imperfect but presumably
congruent passing on of an original concept is relevant, as is the
flagging of multiple causal chains of reference originating from two or
more non-congruent concepts. I think that this might be the next state
for semantic annotation in taxonomy (and yes, only real believers will
do it at first), beyond the kinds of things already promoted and made
reality mainly in ZooKeys; i.e. new revisions that come out and make
clear distinctions between identifications, names, concepts, and their
relationships to previous works.

Respectfully (I like that!),

Nico

Nico M. Franz, Ph.D.