[tdwg-content] Example of Cloud Compatible, Semantic RDF for Occurrences and Individual Specimens

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 22:58:58 CEST 2010

I thought that it might be useful and illustrative to create some examples
of an Occurrence record using the new extension of the geo vocabulary and a
record for an individual with two identification annotations.

These are designed mainly to work well on the Linked Open Data Cloud and
allow me to do the kinds of queries that I need to.

There are points where if I assumed inferencing I could have slimmed down
the RDF, but you cannot always assume that there will be inferencing so I
choose to be explicit.

Also these two examples are linked together and browsable in the way one
would expect.

The have not been completely assimilated in to the cloud, and there may be
some errors in them but the serve as pretty good demonstrations.

They also serve to illustrate how different the conceptualizations may need
to be between a DarwinCore for submitting records and one that will work
well on the cloud.

(See my earlier proposal)

*Linking Species Concepts to Occurrences and Individual Specimens*

I have created an example RDF below that demonstrates markup for an
individual specimen (the American Toad
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/kQmp4.html)

http://lod.taxonconcept.org/inds/abdd0381-7f82-42ff-bb88-a30237fa8684.rdf

- Note that includes two separate identifications in the RDF

and another example RDF for an occurrence record that uses the new extended
geo vocabulary.

http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ocs/a3c39dad-6756-4129-9a61-fbd32883d369.rdf

Occurrence: *RDF Document for Bufo americanus Occurrence Shivering Sands
Natural Area Beach 2008-07-04/2008-07-04*
RDF:
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ocs/a3c39dad-6756-4129-9a61-fbd32883d369.rdf
TXNburner:
http://lsd.taxonconcept.org/about/html/http/lod.taxonconcept.org/ocs/a3c39dad-6756-4129-9a61-fbd32883d369.rdf
Sig.ma:  http://sig.ma/search?pid=dd44aabc1a68b8c75898d9c743f95f00

Individual: *RDF Document for Individual Bufo americanus specimen Shivering
Sands Natural Area Beach 2008-07-04/2008-07-04*
RDF:
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/inds/abdd0381-7f82-42ff-bb88-a30237fa8684.rdf
TXNburner:
http://lsd.taxonconcept.org/about/html/http/lod.taxonconcept.org/inds/abdd0381-7f82-42ff-bb88-a30237fa8684.rdf
Sig.ma: http://sig.ma/search?pid=88b8af943c0734ae3c2322e0d6787417

This SPARQL Query works on my Virtuoso Endpoint, this query will also start
working on the Cloud once the RDF has been assimilated

PREFIX txn:            <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/txn.owl#>
PREFIX american_toad:  <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/kQmp4#Species>

DESCRIBE ?x WHERE {
  ?x txn:areaHasObservedSpecies american_toad:.
}

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology
University of Wisconsin - Madison