[tdwg-content] "Wrong" RDF, was Re: What I learned at the TechnoBioBlitz

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Oct 14 17:43:23 CEST 2010

Thanks for the various replies.  I'm going to try to respond to several
of them in this one.  I realize that these lengthy replies may overwhelm
some readers.  However, I will beg your collective indulgence because
I've got a proposal on the table for adding Individual as a Darwin Core
class.  It appears that the submission process is moving forward and you
can consider this as the "pleading of my case" for why that addition is
desirable (and in my opinion) necessary.

One point which I think has permeated the Darwin Core discussions since
I've started following them is that DwC is designed to facilitate many
uses.  Although somebody might use Occurrence records to make dots on a
distribution map, somebody else might be using the same records to track
the movement of the individual organism as it swims around the sea.
Somebody else may just be using the location and time metadata to
demonstrate that the photo that they took places the organism in a
reasonable location for the species they assert they have photographed.
Another person may be using the location and time metadata to indicate
that two species co-occurred at the same location at the same time.
Darwin Core will be functioning well when it allows occurrence records
to do any of these things or possibly all of these things at the same
time.  The case that I'll try to make here is that Darwin Core mostly
allows these things, but lack of an Individual class is making it
difficult to do some of them.  I will illustrate with a couple examples.

The first one is the problem of tracking an individual over time.  As
Rich correctly points out, the "new" Darwin Core standard has the term
dwc:individualID which is designed to facilitate exactly this kind of
thing.  In a previous thread when we discussed the appropriate use of
the xxxxID terms, I believe that there was a consensus that using them
as "idrefs" (I can't remember the technical database term for this, I
mean when an item in a record points to the identifier of another
record) was appropriate.  In a flat "table-based" database system, you
would just have a table of records (i.e. rows) for some kind of "thing"
with a column heading of  "xxxxID".  You would place the identifier for
the related other thing in that column.  In the case of
dwc:individualID, the rows would be occurrence records and the entry in
the individualID column would be the identifier for the individual.  In
RDF, you would make statements asserting the relationship between the
thing and the other thing.  For example, if you wanted to say that a
dwc:Identification asserted that something was a particular dwc:Taxon,
you could make the statement in RDF that [identification] dwc:taxonID
[taxon], where [identification] and [taxon] are instances of those two
classes that have been assigned some kind of (hopefully gobally unique)
identifiers.  In the case of asserting that a number of occurrence
records track the same individual over time, in RDF, I would for each
occurrence make the statement [occurrence] dwc:individualID
[individual].  That's great and I can (and do) do that with Darwin Core
as it exists.  The problem that I face is that in RDF any time that one
makes a statement about a resource (I'm switching to that term because
"thing" is to vague) using an identifier for it (in the form of a URI),
the identifier must dereference (resolve? sorry Bob!) to produce
metadata about the resource.  So when I assign a URI to an individual
organism a semantic client should be able to retrieve information about
the individual.  One of the fundamental pieces of information that a
client should (according to the TDWG GUID applicability statement) be
given about a resource is what type of thing the resource is.  This is
called the "rdfs:type" of the resource.  The TDWG Applicability
statement (recommendation 11) says that resources identified by a GUID
"should be typed using the TDWG ontology or other well-known
vocabularies".  I hate to be cynical about this, but I don't have
confidence that the TDWG ontology will be ready to use in my lifetime.
The only "well-known" vocabulary that I know of that will work for this
purpose at the moment is Darwin Core and the Darwin Core classes are
just right for typing all of the kinds of resources I want to talk about
(occurrences, taxon, identifications, etc.) EXCEPT for Individuals.  I
think that dwc:individualID is the only one of the xxxxID terms that
refers to a type of thing that doesn't have a class defined for it,
hence my request to add Individual as a class.  At the TDWG meeting,
somebody (Roger maybe?) commented that there isn't anything that would
stop me from creating my own URI for an Individual class.  That is
absolutely true and I already did that
(http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/rdf/terms#Individual), but that doesn't
make my term "well known".  I want Individual to be a class in Darwin
Core so that people other than me know what it means.  There is no way
that I can currently follow the "rules" for GUIDs and RDF on this, and
anybody in the future who uses dwc:individualID in RDF is going to face
this same problem (i.e. anyone who wants to track individuals over time).

In the case of putting "dots on a map" to show the distribution of a
species, the case is simple if the occurrences are specimens where the
whole dead organism is collected.  It is not so simple with other types
of occurrences.  Let me illustrate with an example.  There is currently
precisely one known individual of Crataegus harbisonii in nature.  I
have given this individual the URI
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/ind-baskauf/70905 .  I have
approximately 62 images of that individual at
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/ind-baskauf/70905.htm and
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/species/crha2.htm .  Each one of
these images represents an occurrence in that I pressed the shutter on
my camera at different times for each one.  Ron Lance has collected
tissue from this tree for grafting purposes and now has an occurrence
with basisOfRecord="LivingSpecimen" in his arboretum in North Carolina.
Andrea Bishop of the Tennessee Dept of Environment and Conservation has
seeds collected from the tree - I'd call the collection of those seeds
an occurrence record.  I'm pretty sure that there are one or more
specimens from this tree in herbaria (although I'm not sure where).  So
my question to Marcus and others at GBIF is: how many dots will you put
on your map for this tree?  65 (one for each occurrence) or 1 (one for
each individual)?  I think the answer should be one, but it isn't clear
to me how a data aggregator is going to achieve the goal of having one
dot per individual if the basic unit "dot creation" is an occurrence
rather than an individual.  At the present moment, this question seems
like a moot point because most records in big databases like GBIF are
based on one specimen (or observation) per record of an individual, but
that won't necessarily be the case in the future if people take multiple
live organism images, perhaps also at the same time they collect a
physical specimen.  I anticipate that one response to this question will
be to call each imaging bout one "observation" having a number of
dwc:associatedMedia references.   That collapses the number of
occurrence records considerably, but not down to one.  I took images of
that tree on at least three separate instances over the course of a year
and Ron collected his graft tissue years before that.  There is simply
no way to reduce the number of occurrences for this tree to one, nor
should we want to.  A possible use of multiple occurrence records (i.e.
my first point above) of this sort might be to establish how long
individuals of Crataegus harbisonii live and each occurrence record
(whether separated by years or by the seconds between shutter clicks) is
a part of the record that we should be able to (and want to) preserve.
Another use would be to track a non-sessile organism (e.g. a whale) in
both time and space.  In that case, the record on a map for an
individual would be some kind of curve rather than a dot.  But in any
case, recognizing the existence of an entity that I'm calling an
Individual facilitates these broader uses of occurrence data and it's
really hard for me to see how that is going to happen if we ONLY have
occurrences as separate entities.  Response Markus?  How does GBIF deal
with whale tracks or multiple banded bird observations for a single bird?

The third compelling reason for recognizing the existence of Individuals
as a resource type is that it is the best way to maintain the linkage
between multiple occurrences of the same individual and
identifications.  (In the oversimplified examples I gave earlier, I
applied a scientific name directly to an individual.  In actual
practice, I relate individuals to identifications and then relate the
identifications to taxa.)  Again, to illustrate with a real-life
example, when Bruce Kirchoff was developing his Woody Plants of the
Southeastern US learning software, he asked a taxonomist to go through
the images of mine that he was using for the project to verify that they
were identified correctly.  My old website just threw together all
images of a particular species onto one page without regard to the
individuals from which they originated (e.g.
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/species/sarar3.htm and
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/species/soam3.htm).  It turns
out that I had carelessly misidentified a vegetative Sambucus racemosa
ssp. racemosa individual as Sorbus americana.  The taxonomist asked me
which of the various bark, twig, leaf, etc. images were from the same
plant and the only way I could find out was through the laborious
process of looking for images with similar time/date values and my hand
written field notes.  It was a nightmare finding all of the particular
image records that needed to have their identifications fixed and then
correcting them.  On my new website (e.g.
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/metadata.htm, then click on Quercus
chrysolepis), the images are connected to the individual from which they
originated.  If I discover by looking at a particularly informative
image that I have misidentified the individual, I only need to add an
updated determination (i.e. identification) to that individual's record
and automatically all images from that individual are displayed with the
correct name and are placed on the correct species page.  Now imagine a
situation that is larger and even more complicated than this (think a
Bioblitz).  Herbarium curators and live plant photographers are working
together to document the flora of an area.  Multiple images and multiple
specimens may be collected from the same individual.  The images may go
one place and the specimens may go to several herbaria (if "duplicates"
are distributed).  It's possible that people might come back to the same
individual later to photograph or collect fruit having initially seen
flowers.  Suppose on down the line a taxonomist looks at one of the
specimen duplicates and realizes that the initial identification was
wrong (or maybe just wants to assert an alternative opinion about the
identity).  If the record is based on that individual, then all that is
required is for the annotating taxonomist to add a determination (i.e.
dwc:Identification) to the Individual's record and poof! all images and
duplicate specimens have that opinion associated with them.  In
contrast, if all of these separate occurrence records are not tied
together via the Individual, and if each individual occurrence record
has its own determination, nobody is possibly going to ever track down
and correct every one.  Granted, the scenario that I've suggested is
contingent on the existence of a large scale database that can connect
metadata across institutions, but exactly that kind of thing is what
projects like the US Virtual Herbarium and our Live Plants Imaging group
are trying to create.  Let's enable this by making it possible within
Darwin Core to have a record structure that is Individual-based.

I recognize that many "specimen-based" organizations aren't really going
to care one whit about this.  That's fine.  In their databases and
personal XML schemas they can ignore Individuals as it is their
prerogative.  But when we build RDF templates, I believe strongly that
for the benefit of those of us who care about the broader applications
of occurrences those templates should use individuals to connect (one or
more) occurrences and (one or more) identifications.  For those with a
technical bent, you can see how I have done this for an herbarium
specimen by looking at the page source RDF of the example
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/rdf/examples/lsu000/0429.rdf .  For
those of a non-technical bent, just look at the webpage that shows up
when you click on the link.  It looks just like any other web page for a
specimen and you don't even have to know that the underlying RDF
supports using Individuals as a grouping mechanism.

In summary, I think we need Individual as a DwC class to enable
understandable rdfs:typing of records of individuals and to create a
context in which instances of individuals can be placed (i.e. people
would assign and use identifiers for individuals when they document
occurrences).  These instances (and their assigned URI GUIDSs) would
allow for "connecting" identifications and occurrences in a more
meaningful way.  I am not suggesting that the occurrence be dethroned as
the center of biodiversity records.  Assuming that the xxxxID terms end
up being moved out of the various classes and into the record-level
terms area as was suggested recently, I think that there are really only
about two terms that should be put into a new Individual class: the
other new term I have proposed (individualRemarks) and
establishmentMeans (but that is the topic of another email).  It may
seem odd to suggest a adding a class that has very few terms in it, but
if you follow my reasoning above you will hopefully understand why I
have done so.

I hope that the discussion (and criticism!) will continue.  Again, I'm
interested in hearing alternatives.
Steve

VU Station B 351634

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu