[tdwg-content] "resolution" of URIs usually used improperly

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 14:51:18 CEST 2010

Is it too pedantic to wish that people would not use "resolve" when
they mean "dereference"? The terms are distinguished in RFC 3986[1]:
   "URI "resolution" is the process of
   determining an access mechanism and the appropriate parameters
   necessary to dereference a URI; this resolution may require several
   iterations.  To use that access mechanism to perform an action on the
   URI's resource is to "dereference" the URI." [1]

I bet the concensus answer to my question is "Yes".  Sigh.

[1]http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt

Bob (The Pedant) Morris

--
Robert A. Morris