[tdwg-content] What I learned at the TechnoBioBlitz

"Markus Döring (GBIF)" mdoering at gbif.org
Wed Oct 13 12:06:59 CEST 2010

There are several dwc terms that need the company of others to make sense. But this "company" effectively means defining proper classes, sth that dwc did not dare to do as it opens up a can of worms. There are so many ways to model our world and they all make sense. But nevertheless these terms are useful when actually defining such classes in application schemas.

The distribution "class" we have defined as a dwc archive extension for taxa makes use of establishment means and puts it into the taxonomic, spatial and temporal context as being discussed:

http://rs.gbif.org/extension/gbif/1.0/distribution.xml

It also adds a lifestage qualifier to distinguish between juvenile and adults for example.
And it allows for both a seasonal or a date range temporal context.

Markus