[tdwg-content] Idea for Discussion, Differentiating between "type's" of identifiers

Kevin Richards RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz
Tue Oct 5 23:46:32 CEST 2010

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure I agree with this.

Putting in a hard coded GUID type (LSID) into the name of an element does not sound wise.  It restricts the use of that element too much.

The issue here is that linked data technologies cannot automatically resolve a URN (basic http get).  So it may be better to include all URNs in this idea, eg

hasScientificName = string form
hasScientificNameID = http resolvable URI
hasScientificNameURN = LSID or other URN

This also then relies on any consuming technology to "know" what a specific URN type is and how to resolve it, but I suppose it is really systems that are LSID aware that tend to have this issue in the first place, so this would cover this specific area of concern ...

So, I suppose I am agreeing with this approach, and like Gregor stated this sounds like a better way than "hacking" with URNs to make them http URLs.

Kevin