[tdwg-content] Does a species entail a specific classification or does it have many classifications.

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Fri Nov 26 02:34:31 CET 2010

Hi Pete,

To answer your question:

> Does a species entail a specific
> classification or does it have many classifications.

A species "concept" (or the various applicable names) is independent of classifications, one or many, which may be applied to it, with one exception: the name that is applicable at any time will depend on the genus within which it is placed in a particular preferred classification scheme. Above that level, it is truly independent. In other words, the task of delimiting and naming species (taxonomy, also nomenclature) and the task of arranging taxa in groups, at least above genus level (systematics) are separate and almost completely independent of one another.

Actually there is one other exception - if a species is moved between codes (e.g. something described as a protist turns out to be a bacterium or an animal fossil turns out to be a plant), the applicable name may also need to be changed because of code-specific nomenclatural provisions. However again, the species concept (taxonomy) has not changed, just the name (nomenclature).

So as a consequence of the above, one is free to apply either a single preferred higher classification, or multiple ones, or none (so long as the placement in a particular genus is clearly indicated) to a particular species concept, or change these through time, without affecting the latter in the main.

Not sure if this helps...

Regards - Tony