[tdwg-content] Does a species entail a specific classification or does it have many classifications.

Gregor Hagedorn g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 17:06:11 CET 2010

A side remark, about where I believe the whole discussion is misleading:

> Puma concolor   se:v6n7p
> That way in the future if the name changes without a change in the concept.
> Eupuma concolor se:v6n7p
> The data says linked.

This always looks nice... However, with such proposals we, the
computer guys, make the concept-assessment someone elses problem (i.e.
the taxonomists, ecologists, pathologist, etc.), and, at the same
time, do not provide them the means to communicate. The assumption is
that a scientist or applied worker would know whether to add se:v6n7p
to a given taxon name or not.

With my taxonomer/pathologist hat on: I mostly have no clue which
concept XXX concolor is - and whether it is changed or not. Puma
concolor may be a different concept than Puma concolor. We are, of
course, guilty of communicating in a shamefully loose way (s.str., s.
lat. etc.), which could and should be improved by citing a secundum,
but beyond that: mapping concepts is a taxonomic opinion, no objective
truth.

So given that any trivial mapping mechanism can map multiple IDs (Puma
concolor, Eupuma concolor) to a single concept - the proposal saves
this trivial processing time, but does not contribute to the problem
of communicating in a way that is suitable to assess taxon concepts.

----

Aside: Please compare the highly linked, and generally correctly
linked Wikipedias with other content management system for the
advantage of human legible IDs [[Puma concolor]] over
http://x.y.net/node/234872561 - links. My own observation is that in
the latter case only a fraction of the desirable links are created,
and that these are quite often going to wrong, or perhaps obsoleted
places.

I therefore think:
se:Puma_concolor_sec._Smith
would be a much more useful mechanism than all the
computer-scientists-only proposals like se:v6n7p or
http://gni.globalnames.org/name_strings/772d5162-f5aa-596c-98e0-a1c6c5a29bb9

Gregor